Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What is Dance?

Technically, Dance is just movement of your limbs. I will try to refine the definition. Dance is an artistic form of communication. Dance is when you move your hands and legs to the tune of something. Even walking is a kind of dance step.

When we start to know about any topic, the first thing we look for is a book. Like there is Barrons for GRE, Let us C - Yashwant Kanitkar for C programming, Complete reference for Java.... there is Natya Shastra for Indian Classical Dance. This one book encapsulates everything about dance, drama, music. This book was originally written by Bharatha Muni in Sanskrit. There are now lots of interpretations of this book available in the market.

There are 7 major forms of dance. They are

  1. Bharathanatyam
  2. Kathak
  3. Kathakali
  4. Kuchupudi
  5. Mohini Attam
  6. Manipuri
  7. Oddissi

There are lots of other dance forms, but it is beleived that they are interpretations of one of these "major" forms.

My expertise (if I can call that) is limited to Bharathanatyam. Though I have learnt a little Kathak and Mohiniattam as well. So this blog will concentrate mainly on Bharathanatyam and my life associated with it.

I was 7 when I was introduced to this wonderful world of dance! Thank you amma, for making me do this. All my relatives were saying to my mom " Why do you have to make her learn dance? Atleast if she learns to sing she can get good grooms!". As if the sole intention of learning an art form is to get a good groom! My mom is an artist (carnatic classical musician), and she knew the value of art.

She made me join dance class, veena class and of course she herself used to teach me to sing. She was not imposing too many things on me.. she just wanted to know what I would be "actually" interested in. Little was she to know that her darling daughter would be interested in everything :)

Coming back to the main question: What is dance?

Dance is:

  • A rhythemic movement.
  • An artistic expression.
  • When you can depict a complete story with just few hand and leg movements.
  • When you get into another character completely... body and soul.
  • Entertainment with a message.

22 comments:

Mrudula Sreekanth said...

Just came across your new blog. Very interesting and educative. :)

Ashish Agarwal said...

Hey, new blog, great. :-)
Learning a dance form as beautiful as bharatnatyam must be a great feeling.

Anonymous said...

shark:

as i am ill-qualified to comment on dance, all i will say is "nice start". i'll forward to v.b. ... :-).

- s.b.

Shark said...

@gini: Thanks kane :)

@ashish: Yes it's a very beautiful feeling :)

@s.b: Thanks :) who is v.b?

Anonymous said...

v.b. = mrs. s.b. [of course :-)]

(ok, maybe i should take the "of course" back)

- s.b.

Shark said...

@s.b: well that wasn't so obvious :P

ALl these days I though s.b = somebody.
v.b = ?

Anonymous said...

shark:

why did you include mohini attam in your list of seven classical dances? or, in other words, why - do you think - did the indian post office not include mohini attam?

http://www.geocities.com/stamparchive/Culture/CDA_Dances_Body.htm

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

whoops ... here is the link.

- s.b.

Shark said...

@s.b: First you answer my question and then I will answer yours.

Anonymous said...

my answer is on its way...

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

This is Marvellous..
Very good start I should say, will try my best to keep myself updated with your posts. Have added this link to my favourites.
nimma amma anthu great lady, have read about her in your blog.. will want to meet her sometime ...
May be during feb 2007 (if you invite me there:-))

Happy Blogging, & when are you giving your vidvath exams??

Anonymous said...

some humble suggestions to you for the better usage.
1) List of information as & when possible.. like where to go, whom to approach when you learn dance.. say talk about teachers in Mysore etc.,
2) Dos & Donts
3) if possible allow some of your friends to addin guest posts like Vijay do.. this would add in a lot.
4) please please don't make your post stale for long time, atleast 1 post fortnightly.. kindly stick on...

okayana..?

k@rTh1K said...

write more on this... wont you ?

Unknown said...

Got a link from Hallucinations!

You've written only one post! Though i dont know to dance neither do i want to, i guess many people are waiting for yo post!

Apun Ka Desh said...

That pic - is that you?

Anonymous said...

I donno much about dance but I can confidently say that it is fun.

All Is Whole said...

Dance is the thing that i love most and i wish to die while dancing...............
:-)

Anonymous said...

it was great

Anonymous said...

Dance is the thing that i love most and i wish to die while dancing...............
:-)

claytonia vices said...

You are lucky to have been both interested and also to have been determined enough to pursue it. Very few of us know the value of art.

Unknown said...

nice reading ur blog. my daughter started dance class at 4.5 now she is 6. she has finished her steps and started to learn dance. i think she is not interested. i love dance. what to do to make her interested in dance.

Unknown said...

so interested reading ur blog. my daughter started to go for dance when she was 4.5 now hse is 6. we had missed a lot of classss in between. now she has finished her steps. and sarted dance. it seems she is not that interested in dance or she cannot follow it. what to do for her to get interest in dance.